In the early 1700s, the area of what is now Plymouth and Thomaston was called Northbury. In 1747, the Ecclesiastical Society of Northbury acquired four acres of land to be used for a meetinghouse, a training ground for the local militia to ward off Indian attacks, and a cemetery. This land became the center of the village of Plymouth. The present day Congregational Church was built in 1838. Eli Terry, famous clockmaker and Plymouth resident, built the wooden clockworks that still run the clock today.